Why Within handles your personal information in line with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPS) that can be found at the OAIC website (www.oaic.gov.au).
Why Within has developed a policy to help you better understand how your data is stored and used by us, as well as the purpose for which it is used and why. This applies to personal information collected by Why Within through its website, as well as information received in person (for example, via in-person attendance or registration).
WHAT DOES PERSONAL INFORMATION MEAN?
HOW IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED?
The main way we collect personal information is through you directly or through your authorised representative. That is, when you visit us at www.whywithin.com and submit your personal information or request your personal information to be used (i.e. by subscribing to an email newsletter).
We sometimes collect personal information from a third party or from a publicly available source, but only if:
- you have consented to such collection or would reasonably expect us to collect your personal information in this way, or
- if it is necessary for a specific purpose such as the investigation of a privacy complaint.
Your personal information may be collected through the following services that are used on our website:
- User contact forms
- Cookies & Analytics
- Mailing list (via an Opt-In initially, with the ability to unsubscribe or Opt-Out)
- Social Network widgets and buttons (Pinterest, Twitter etc)
- Direct Marketing
- Credit card payments including PayPal
- When you sign up with us and create a login with us
- Cross-border Disclosure of Personal Information
- Sign in with Facebook
- Third party polling and survey plugins (Survey Monkey etc)
- 3rd party commenting (Disqus, Livefyre, IntenseDebate, Google+ etc)
We only collect personal information for purposes which are directly related to our functions or activities under the Privacy Act, the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act), and only when it is necessary for or directly related to such purposes.
HOW DO YOU USE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We only use personal information for the purposes for which we collected it – purposes which are directly related to one of our functions or activities that on the whole create a better user experience for you at www.whywithin.com.
We do not give personal information about an individual to any government agencies, private sector organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- you have consented
- you would reasonably expect, or have told us, that information of this kind is usually passed to those individuals, bodies or agencies
- it is otherwise required or authorised by law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody’s life or health, or
- it is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of public revenue.
We may use your personal information to send you advertising that is customised to your interests, characteristics or general location.
Opt-out: As with all direct marketing correspondence that you receive from us via email, there is always an unsubscribe button or link located at the bottom of the email. With this you can manage which messages you receive from us.
IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION STORED SECURELY?
We take steps to protect the personal information we hold against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, and against other misuse.
When the personal information that we collect is no longer required, we destroy or delete it in a secure manner.
CROSS-BORDER DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Some of your personal information may be stored with or disclosed to other entities overseas (who are not in Australia or an external Territory) who are direct partners that assist us in providing our service. As per APP 8, we have taken steps to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach the Australian Privacy Principles. We also have in place policies and procedures to safeguard the handling of your personal data by such entities.
CAN I ACCESS OR CHANGE THE PERSONAL INFORMATION I GIVE YOU?
Yes, you can access the personal information that we hold about you, and you can ask us to correct the personal information we hold about you. For more information, you can contact us directly using the contact details below.
Why Within is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act. We care about our users and do everything we can to adhere to the 13 Australian Privacy Principles as per the OAIC guidelines.
If you have any complaints or feel that there has been a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, or a registered APP code, you can contact us at email@example.com or via another option below.
If you are not satisfied with the process of making a complaint to our Privacy Officer you may make a complaint to the Information Commissioner on the details below:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001
Telephone: 1300 363 992
Fax: 02 9284 9666
HOW TO CONTACT US
For further information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively you can write to us at
8B Allowah Terrace
RICHMOND VIC 3121